• Guided City Tour Trento

    Art and architecture, nature and museums have made Trento a cultural hotspot.
    Provincial and (autonomous) Regional Capital, this city in Trentino Alto Adige boasts a long, rich tradition and some of the most important monuments in Italian history.

    PERIOD: available all year.

    Trento was struck at the base of the rocky spur of the Doss Trento, on the Adige River’s right bank (and beneath the Mausoleum of Cesare Battisti), as early as the Roman age.
    The city’s ancient nucleus was transferred to the opposite bank of the river, while an imposing defensive wall was constructed around it in the Middle Ages.
    Around the year 1,000, the Holy Roman Emperor Conrad II founded the Bishopric of Trent; it became a long-standing religious center of notable importance. After all, the famous Council of Trent took place here, giving rise to the Counter-Reformation. The 1500s were the time of Trento’s golden age, thanks to the bishops that advocated for the construction of new churches and edifices.
    Later, in the 19th Century, it became the object of a bitter dispute between Napoleon’s troops and the Habsburg Empire. It was only in 1919 that Trento became part of Italy, at the end of World War I.

    Without a doubt the political, religious, commercial and monumental hub of the city, Piazza del Duomo is lined by splendid noble palaces (frescoed inside, especially the Case Cazuffi-Rella).
    The Piazza also hosts the tomb of San Vigilio, as well as the Romanesque Duomo of San Vigilio, built in 1212 on the commission of Bishop Federico Vanga – it was here that all the Council’s formal sessions were held.
    Palazzo Pretorio, then, along with the crenellated Vanga Tower (13th Century), compose the Duomo complex that dominates the Piazza, at the center of which stands the spectacular 18th-Century Fountain of Neptune. Meanwhile, the Castello del Buonconsiglio, hosting a series of diverse museums, served as Trento’s bishops’ residence from the 1200s to the 1700s; it is composed of several components dating to different eras. It also offers an astounding view!
    Also remarkable are the palazzi in Venetian-Renaissance style, with their Via Belenzani-fronting facades magnificently frescoed.
    And two rather characteristic structures, both 16th-Century, include the red marble Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, and Palazzo Tabarelli, the facade of which features 22 reliefs of important personages of Trent.
    Be sure to visit Palazzo Pona Geremia – dating back to the 1400s – observing its scenographic facade, decorated with frescoes depicting the city’s history; and the c. 1200s Church of Sant’Apollinare, erected near the ancient borgo of Piedicastello, at the feet of the Doss Trento.

    Buonconsiglio Castle

    The Castle (Castello del Buonconsiglio), built up against the 13th city walls, served as the residence of the Bishops of Trento from the second half of the 13th century until the secularization of the principality in 1803. It was originally called Malconsey, after the small hill it is situated on, and later took the name of “Buonconsiglio”, i.e. the community meeting place. Built for defence purposes on a rocky relief as a Roman “castrum”, it became a real fortress in the 13th century. During the invasion of Napoleon, Pietro Vigilio Thun abandoned the castle which then became an Austrian military barracks. During the First World War the trial against the irredentists Cesare Battisti, Fabio Filzi and Damiano Chiesa took place there. The Italian State, which became the owner of the castle in 1918, gave it to the Autonomous Province of Trento in 1974.

    Piazza Duomo

    Situated on the side of the Cathedral, with frescoed Renaissance buildings and the Late Baroque Fountain of Neptune (Fontana di Nettuno) built in 1767-1768.

    Trento Cathedral, Roman Catholic Cathedral.

    It is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Trento, and, until 1802, was the seat of the Bishopric of Trento. It was built over a pre-existing 6th-century church devoted to Saint Vigilius (Italian: San Vigilio), patron saint of the city.

    MUSE – Science Museum

    The exhibition traces life in the Dolomites from the days of the dinosaurs, featuring fossils, rock paintings, and prehistoric arms found in situ, as well as presenting Neanderthal Man.
    The Renzo Piano-designed project puts Trento on the international map. Far more than a Science Museum, this is a bold statement of intent. The region realises that investment in culture reaps rewards. The results go beyond a cutting-edge museum and the regeneration of an old industrial district. The museum sits at the heart of a new urban park, residential and entertainment zone that will reshape the city. The project also reconnects the city with its mountainous landscape. Shifting views of Monte Bondone will tempt visitors to explore the Dolomite peaks.

ARE YOU READY TO BOOK?

Contact Us