• Guided Walking Tour “The historical City Center of Trento”

    A long-standing religious center of notable importance.

    Trento, the region’s capital, is located in the valley of the Adige river. It has about 105,000 inhabitants and it is known throughout Europe for being the location of the famous Council in the 1500s.

    The city is full of churches, palaces, and architectural beauty in Gothic and Renaissance style, and is culturally rich thanks to the prestigious University, and to the presence of many museums and historical places to visit.

    Highlights:

    • Legally licensed English speaking Tour Guide
    • 2 hours guided tour
    • Learn about the city’s past and present
    • Smaller group: interact with your own Guide
  • Itinerary:

    Piazza Duomo

    Without a doubt the political, religious, commercial and monumental hub of the city, Piazza del Duomo is lined by splendid noble palaces (frescoed inside, especially the Case Cazuffi-Rella). The Piazza also hosts the tomb of San Vigilio, as well as the Romanesque Duomo of San Vigilio, built in 1212 on the commission of Bishop Federico Vanga – it was here that all the Council’s formal sessions were held.

    Palazzo Pretorio and Torre Civica

    The Palazzo Pretorio and Torre Civica overlook Trento’s beautiful Piazza Duomo and it used to be the Bishop’s residence until the 1250s. Together with the Torre Civica and the imposing structure of the Cathedral of San Vigilio, the church is one of the main features of the striking Piazza Duomo in Trento. Erected in 1220 by the Prince-Bishop Federico Vanga, the palace used to be the seat not only of the Bishops of Trento, but also of the Municipality, the Podestà and the Courts as well. 

    San Viglio Cathedral - Roman Catholic Cathedral.

    It is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Trento, and, until 1802, was the seat of the Bishopric of Trento. It was built over a pre-existing 6th-century church devoted to Saint Vigilius (Italian: San Vigilio), patron saint of the city.

    Case Cazuffi Rella

    Built on a polygonal base and supported by the solid pillars of the portico, the two houses are characterized by a complex cycle of 16th century paintings arranged on different levels.

    Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore

    Erected by Antonio Medaglia from Como and commissioned by Prince-Bishop Bernardo Cles between 1520 and 1524.The Church was built on the remains of a Paleo-Christian Church in an area which provided the city with numerous archaeological finds from its Roman past. Featuring the Renaissance style, it was the first example of a single-nave church in Trentino.

    Via Belenzani with its splendid sixteenth and seventeenth century buildings Palazzo Fugger Galasso

    lso known as Palazzo del Diavolo [the Devil’s Palace] because of a legend quoted by J. W. Goethe in 1786 that narrates that the Devil himself biult this palace in one day, the Palazzo was built in 1602 by Georg Fugger, descendant of an Augusta-based family of powerful bankers and husband of the Trentino noblewoman, Elena Madruzzo.

    Castello del Buonconsiglio (Buonconsiglio Castle)

    The Buonconsiglio Castle is the most important castle in Trentino, residence of the Prince Bishops and symbol of the city of Trento.
    The Castle, built up against the 13th city walls, served as the residence of the Bishops of Trento from the second half of the 13th century until the secularization of the principality in 1803. 

    Church of San Pietro

    A 15th century church is located behind the façade erected in the Neo-Gothic Venetian style in 1848-50 by Architect Pietro Selvatic.

    Mura Vanghiane (Vanga Walls)

    hey are the most significant surviving section of the 13th century town walls surrounding the neighbourhoods, which had sprawled in the Middle Ages. 

    Torrione madruzziano

    The massive round building was built to ward the gate of S. Croce, which is no longer there.
    First documented in 1562, the so-called Rotonda was transformed in 1595 on the request of the Prince-Bishop and Cardinal Ludovico Madruzzo, as a wall epigraph indoor attests. Lost its original defensive function, the tower took on its current look in 1835, when it started to house some dwellings and a café.

    Piazza Fiera

    An ancient place devoted to animal markets and fairs.

ARE YOU READY TO BOOK?

Contact Us